Thursday, February 4, 2010

2010 goals.


I needed to get back into the mountains, so I climbed Mount Van Cott above the U this morning before work. It was a perfect short hike and had about 1200 feet of elevation gain in about a mile and a half. This is a perfect training hike, especially if there is high avalanche danger on the higher peaks. I didn’t know where the trail was, so I went up a gulch that had a faint trail, and ended up busting my hump up to the ridge through some sugary snow. Once I was on the ridge it was quick and easy, although it was a little steep.

I got to enjoy the sunrise from the top over the Wasatch and the entire Salt Lake Valley. I can’t think of a better way to start a day.

It took me a lot of work to finally bag such a little mountain. I took my dog and kids up there on one of the hottest days in the summer of 2009. We had some bad directions, and it took us about an hour of hiking before we ended up in Cepnalopod Gulch. After about 15 minutes heading up the dog wouldn't walk anymore and the kids were crying, so we had to turn back. My kids still call this mountain Mt. Van Hot.

Now for my goals. I have been thinking about the fitness goals that I want to accomplish this year, so I wrote them down, and I plan on looking at these weekly to make sure I am trying my best to reach them. If I can accomplish these I will be right where I want to be for all of the hikes and races that I have planned for this year.

2010 fitness goals:

My fitness goals for 2010:
-Do a trail run or climb a peak at least once per week
- Hike or run at least 30 miles every week
- Lift weights (upper body) twice per week
- work core/abs twice per week
- Workout every day
- Run 2 marathons
- Run 1 ultra

No comments:

Post a Comment