Tuesday, March 15, 2011

February/March training

I have really had a fun month training for the Buffalo 50K on Antelope Island that will be held on March 26th. I have tried to do some kind of training daily with at least one bigger training day each week. I have been out to the island twice in the last month with Craig and Matt to run. The first time we went out and ran the 25/50K loop and had an incredible time, and then we went out and ran a portion of the 50M course that runs along the shore on the east side of the island. We did a 21.5 mile day, which was my longest run so far this year. Other than a little bit of mud at the end it was a perfect day.

Last Saturday I did a 19 mile run on the Jordan River Parkway in Lehi. The day before I had wanted to do 20+ on the same trail but because of some work issues I only got in 8, so I had to go back the next day. It was an incredible run by myself in perfect temperatures. The Saturday before I ran Grandeur Peak again with Seth Wold, Matt Van Horn, Bill Hiatt and two other friends. It was such a fun morning. We hiked up the West ridge to the summit and then ran down to the Pipeline trail, where we continued to Rattlesnake Gulch and then out the canyon and back to the cars. It is only 11 miles, but feels like a lot more with all of the elevation gain/loss.

I have continued to run as many peaks as possible, and I usually try and do at least two every week, although sometimes I have to settle for one. So far I have climbed 17 peaks in 2011 and I have a goal of getting 65 which I should be able to do as long as I keep up my current training schedule. Mt. Wire, Grandeur Peak and Lake Mountain are still the peaks I have been climbing most because I can get up and down quickly and then get into work, but I am really getting excited for the Spring mountaineering season. This year I want to do the Triple Traverse, the Pfeifferhorn, Lone Peak and possibly the Grunge couloir and the Beatout (White Pine to Bells).

No comments:

Post a Comment